Thirsty Thursdays: Make an Old Fashioned at Home
FOLLY: This is quite a manly drink....
NOSA: It's Don Draper's drink of choice on Mad Men.
FOLLY: See, I told you it's a manly drink.
NOSA: About as manly as it gets. There's a guy I follow on Instagram that loves Old Fashioneds (is there a plural?) and he's super manly.
FOLLY: There are two methods. Method one is simpler, in case it wasn't obvious.
- Place the sugar cube in an old-fashioned glass and saturate with bitters.
- Add a dash of plain water and muddle until dissolved.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey.
- Garnish with orange slice and a cocktail cherry.
- 1 sugar cube
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 1 dash of Angostura bitters
- 2 fluid ounces whiskey (rye or bourbon)
- 1 lemon twist
- Ice cubes
- 1 orange slice
- 1 maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Muddle sugar cube, water, and bitters in an old fashioned glass for 1 minute.
- Pour in whiskey and stir for an additional minute.
- Squeeze the lemon twist over the glass and drop it in.
- Add ice cubes.
- Garnish with a slice of orange and a maraschino cherry, and serve with a swizzle stick.